Sunday 26 July 2009

Christening Cakes

Today was my little Niece, Leah's, Christening. I've been really looking forward to it for ages now as I love an excuse to dress up
(well, more importantly the excuse to wear a hat without being mocked!)

It was a lovely day and Leah was a very good girl, happy and smiling throughout despite how overwhelming it all must have been for her.

As you will all know by now, where there is an opportunity to bake, I jump at the chance!
I really wanted to make something a bit more involved that my usual cupcakes, so I offered to take care of the main christening cake.
This was my first large project, and for an important occasion so I wanted to keep it simple to avoid tripping myself up by trying to be flash!

I made 2 simple, 9 inch, round Madeira cakes using Nigella's Mother in Law's recipe click here to try it for yourself.
The recipe really easy and quick to make and produced perfect results (which is always a relief!)
One cool, the cakes were sandwiched together using raspberry jam and butter cream, covered in white Regal Ice and the fun began!

I had already made icing butterflies and a set of 'building blocks' to spell her name and attached these to the cake with royal icing.
I then really impressed myself by managing to pipe out the date of the christening (my first attempt at piping writing!).
While the date was still wet I covered it with lilac edible glitter to make it stand out.
Once all the icing was dry I brushed the wings of the butterflies and the letters on the blocks with lustre powder and gave the whole lot a dose of iridescent glitter. Unfortunately this didn't photograph well, so take it from me the stuff that looks like dust is glitter!
I am really pleased and proud of my first attempt at a 'proper cake' and everyone was very complementary, which was nice because I always see the flaws in my own work!


I couldn't get away without making cupcakes as well, so by popular demand there were vanilla, chocolate and carrot cake cupcakes
The carrot cake cupcakes are ultra easy and give brilliant results. They are my absolute favourites and if you like carrot cake you really should try these. Click here for the recipe.
The Vanilla cupcake and Chocolate cupcake recipes were from Martha Stewart living and as per most of her recipes (as long as you follow the instructions to the letter!) were very successful. click here for the vanilla recipe and here for the chocolate.


That's all for now, as usual I am impatient to see what the rest of you lovely people in blog land have been up to!

Lots of Love xxx

9 comments:

  1. Wow. You are majorly talented! Super impressed.

    P.S. Love your hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, your cake turned out beautifully! I cant believe its your fitst attempt, i love the butterflys. I didnt know there was such thing as edible glitter?
    I like your hat too :)

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Kelly!
    You looks so smart!
    How lucky little Leah to have such a talented aunt!
    Thank you for sharing those yummy recipes, I must have a go at them one day!
    Did your parents' trip go well?
    Hope they'll have a fantastic time in Cavallino!
    Thank you for asking about me..I got up at 5am this morning and in an hour I have to be at office..:( I feel so tireeeed!
    Have a nice start to your week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the cake :-)
    as usual your baking is fantastic!

    the knitted doll book is one of the ones I've picked to hang onto so you are more than welcome to borrow it (I cant even knit yet, so will be a while before I get round to using it!)
    There is also one on making dolls clothes, and others on making various "homey" bits and gifts etc that i've hung onto too!
    The pattern books i'm parting with are on ebay already but I've got stacks of single patterns I still need to go through. If you are around over the next couple of days and want to pop in and go through them just let me know. I will prob put them on ebay in batches (but wont get around to it for a good few days at least!).

    Rose XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY! First of all you are adorable! Love your hat!! And your cake looks amazing! You are one talented lady :)

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darling thanks for visiting my cottage and for kind words you left behind. I too came over for a visit and fell in love with your lovely blog. I joined your followers and have added your blog to my beau-TEA-ful friends blog. Please visit me again and next time do please stop and join my followers, much appreciated.

    Duchess xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. fab cake kelly.... hope you have a great weekend in cornwall. hugs Tx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment. I really appreciate it!